I’m re-reading one of my favorite books about natural mental health called The Way Up From Down, by Priscilla Slagle, MD. You can purchase a hard copy on Amazon, but the author also offers a free PDF version on her website.
Even though it was first published in 1987, the information is valuable and still relevant. It is a wonderful introduction for people who are interested in starting a nutrient program to better their mental health.
I want to summarize a few of the benefits she mentions about amino acid and nutrient therapy to treat depression:
- It has far greater overall safety than conventional drug therapies.
- It is preferable for long-term use, and can also be effective with intermittent usage.
- It can be adjusted to deal with a large variety of symptoms.
- It has no associated withdrawal symptoms.
- It has almost no toxicity because it is composed of water soluble substances that don’t accumulate in your brain or other tissues.
- It relies on your brain’s own ability to override and shut off the process if the neurotransmitter concentrations become too high.
If a new pharmaceutical drug came on the market today that offered all of these benefits, everyone would be lining up to try it! : )
I hope you’ll take the time to check out this important free resource to see if starting an amino acid and nutrient program would benefit you. For more suggestions about book and websites that I have found helpful, please see my resources page. If you need a cheerleader to help you navigate the process as you implement a nutritional program, you know how to reach me!